Topic: Which is the best runtime?

Hello.
Which is the runtime? I mean, which is the order of the runtimes I have to choose?
Is it gears,html5,flash,silverlight,browserplus?

Thank you

Re: Which is the best runtime?

Which is the best runtime?
I forgot to add "best".

Thank you.

Unfortunately they are not equal, some do better job with upload, others - with image resize. It depends on your goal.

If you want to see your issue fixed, do not report it here, do it on - GitHub.

I need the best resize, since i want to make an upload with resize before uploading.
In such case, which is best?

Thank you

HTML5 and Flash.

HTML5 and FLash?
from the features:
http://www.plupload.com/index.php

HTML5: Image resizing is only possible on Firefox 3.5+ and only at a fixed quality. WebKit/Opera doesn't support direct data access to the selected files.

and Flash can't manage big images (in FP10 the limit is 16,777,215 = 4096x4096 for squared images)

Is not better to try Gears and Silverlight before?
I was thinking in this:

gears, silverlight, flash, html5

it's depend of your usage. if you need more faster, i think flash is the best choice

What do you mean with faster? Silverlight is in many situations even faster than Flash (and I'm a Flash developer, never used Silverlight tongue), although the silverlight file is bigger (I don't know why).

But the most important here I think is the capabilities.
HTML5 can't resize the image in all browsers and Flash can't resize big images (and +12Mpx cameras are very common these days).

That's why I'm intrigued with davit's suggestion.

Flash in the latest plupload can handle images with resolutions up to 8091x8091. HTML5 is capable of this too (where supported - I'm afraid feature table is outdated, WebKit is supported too).

SilverLight runs out of memory on such resolutions, and hangs.

For lower resolutions any runtime (having resize support) will do quite well.

thanks davit, can you explain us how do you achieve the 8091x8091 limit in Flash?   
Which is the min Flash version required for plupload?

Minimal Flash Player version at the moment is 10.

For details on 8091x8091 feature you can check the related changelog post: http://www.plupload.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=602

I personally don't think HTML will replace Flash. I think HTML5 and the Open Web will replace Flash where Flash has been used as a stopgap.