Topic: resize large image does not work with Flash

Hi
I have uploaded 11mb file with Flash uploader. I am using simple below code to resize the images. please check and guide me. when we uploading the 11mb file it's displaying progress bar continue for long time but not display any error or upload the file.
please guide asap.

jQuery('#'+id_flash).pluploadQueue({
        // General settings
        runtimes : 'flash',
        url : jQuery("#URL").val(),
        max_file_size : '15mb',
        resize : {width :1700 , height : 1700, quality : 90},
        unique_names : false,
       multi_selection : true,
       multipart : false,
       multipart_params : false,
        urlstream_upload : false,
        progress : true,
        filters :[{
            title : "Image files",
            extensions : "jpg,jpeg,png,JPG,JPEG,PNG"
        }],

flash_swf_url : .swf file here

});

Please guide me asap
Thanks
rajesh

Re: resize large image does not work with Flash

I see you got multipart turned off...

One question that logically comes to mind in this case - does you server support uploading of files having sizes over 2 mb?

And I guess you need to make sure that url parameter ( jQuery("#URL").val()) indeed corresponds to the server-side scripts location.

If you want to see your issue fixed, do not report it here, do it on - GitHub.

Server has 32 MB post max and upload max size memory limit is 128MB. and yes jquery("url") has server side url.

we are uploading files with below function
$putdata = fopen("php://input","rb");

not using multipart.

Kindly thanks for your support.

Thanks.

How large is the image in pixels w/h. Also does it work on non image files over 11mb or smaller files?

there is no limit to upload files according to width and height.

today we have put the console.log and get the below errors can you guide me properly so we will rectify this error.

IO error.
Error #2032
file status 4

Hello,

Did you fix the problem ? I have the same, resizing doesn't work at all with flash, but it does with html5. And plupload doesn't run in html5 under opera...

Thx by advance.

Do you experience problems when trying to resize big files over 11 mb or it just doesn't resize any of them?

Actually, it is very strange. I have problem with files over 2 mb. If the image is under this value, it works fine.
More generally, flash resizing has a strange behavior. Sometimes, the upload stop at 66%. The same file uploaded with html5 (firefox) is correctly resized.

Flash as technology has quite big problems with resizing images, it's general issue. SilverLight for example does much better job. Could you upload an image causing you problems somewhere, so that we could test it locally?

Here one photo which causes problems : http://www.la-meute.com/img/IMG_0108.JPG
However, I have a small question. Why can I not use HTML5 with opera and IE ? This could solve my problem, couldn't it ?
Thx in advance.

Those browsers are just not capable of doing it. Actually on big part we are following the standards, sniffing for features rather then for specific browsers. So once they will start to support standards they should start to work with HTML5 runtime auto-magically.

I will check that image. Thanks for feedback.

So which format do you reccomend to use (Flash, Silverlight, ect.) if you are primarily using plupload for resizing when doing uploads?

http://www.internetsolutionsforless.com

I would suggest HTML5, SilverLight, and GEARS.

I think the problem with Flash in this case is that it has a known upper limit on a max resolution it can handle. For Flash Player 9 it was 2880px, in 10th version it was rised to 4000px. Still less then the sample picture here. And then there are other ugly limitations.

For the coming release we will probably revise Flash runtime, and try to keep it from dying out.

I would recommend flash or silverlight.It is the best for plupload i think,although a friend of mine had a problem with flash i remember.

Some servers have a 64 mb limit. I use adobe photoshop elements and the "save for web". Then you can change the compression level.  Medium 60% quality, high 80% quality are the best I think.

Having similar problem and I'm glad I found this. I did as suggestion to save in "save for web" and my problem solved.

Thanks a lot.

Angela

powertri02 wrote:

Some servers have a 64 mb limit. I use adobe photoshop elements and the "save for web". Then you can change the compression level.  Medium 60% quality, high 80% quality are the best I think.

You saved my day, thanks for the info

Some servers have a 64 mb limit.

It's not about servers, actually Flash crashes on client-side, when it is given an image having huge resolution, beyond the limits it could handle.

davit wrote:

Some servers have a 64 mb limit.

It's not about servers, actually Flash crashes on client-side, when it is given an image having huge resolution, beyond the limits it could handle.

Wow I never thought that flash has limits on huge resolution. I have seen very huge flash that fills the whole screen and it seems it has not problems loading.

Yep, it has. It was a sad news for me too. And it's official.

Thanks Angela, you solved my problem.

I'll put my two cents in. I've had great luck with Silverlight.

How about based on pixels?

Flash has a huge limit on hue resolution.

We are testing a solution at the moment, that may potentially trick Flash into handling files having resolution up to 8191x8191.

8191 seems to be a "magic" number (I would say a point of no return), beyond which Flash will turn images into blank black bitmaps... That's were the visible world ends for Flash...