Topic: Plupload v1.2.4 released

This new version contains some important fixes but changes the default behavior of some things.

Multipart changes:
We used to have multipart disabled by default mainly since Safari 4 and Chrome 4 didn't support the possibility to send multipart encoded data using XMLHttpRequest. But new browsers have been released and people using Safari and Chrome tend to update quickly so we decided to switch multipart on by default since most users know how to handle that correctly on the server side.

Flash changes:
We pulled in a patch from Marcel Jackwerth that enables Plupload to automatically change the upload method to FileReference.upload depending on what settings you have and the file type you are uploading. This is good news for people uploading large files since it will not load the file into memory if it doesn't have to. However since Flash has a bug where it doesn't pass though cookies or have the ability to set custom headers you will have to pass though some authentication token in the upload url or similar. You can force the upload to use the UrlStream method we used before by setting urlstream_upload to false.

Other minor changes:
The unique_names setting will now retain the file extension this is vital for mapping mime types etc for uploaded files.

We added a new event called BeforeUpload this enables you to change config settings dynamically before each file gets uploaded. This has been a common request.

Longer extensions can now be used such as forcing tar.gz.

Better image scaling in Flash contributed by rcoopman.

And a lot more stuff check the changelog for details.

Re: Plupload v1.2.4 released

Hi,

Usage of FileReference.upload() introduces a regression in this version. It does not pass the cookies anymore. Apparently, it is a known Flash bug...

My application needs cookies, so it is a shame I cannot upgrade.

Would it be possible to pass the cookies to Plupload, appending them to the request with request.setCookie() or someting (I do not know Flash) ?

Thanks !

There is an undocumented option called urlstream_upload will add some docs for it later the coming week. It forces the upload to use the urlstream method but it's not ideal for larger files. So if you want to be able to upload files larger than 100MB or something use the other runtimes instead of Flash.

It's impossible to use cookies, custom headers or https with the FileReference.upload method. However Adobe seems to be working on the bug and they commented on it just a few days ago.

When do you will add the possibility to create thumbnails too?
please is really important feature!
thanks

Client side thumbnail generation is not in the scope of this project. The idea with the image resizing feature in Plupload is to reduce the over all upload size since the original images can be quite large. Thumbnails on the other hand is better to generate on the server.

But if someone would contribute it we would consider pulling it in.

did you change thee way button were created on this release ?

On the version I use it is an absolute position... totally buggy with dynamic content.

I can send you my change to define the button as an object with relative position always on the original one.(so no more refresh needed...)

pmithrandir wrote:

On the version I use it is an absolute position... totally buggy with dynamic content.

I can send you my change to define the button as an object with relative position always on the original one.(so no more refresh needed...)

Please share your fix, I have this problem too.

I sent an email with my sources to Spocke... But I just worked on flash for the moment on version 1.2.2. Should be the same for others technology, but my company doesn't need any other compatibility.

If you want the source directly, please send me an email through the forum, I will send you my work.

It would be great if you could fork the project on github.com - then everybody could see the solution and spocke can easily overtake your commit.

How does that work ?
I took 5 minutes to understand, but doesn't seems to be easy...
I have svn and I don't even found the repository URL somewhere...

Does GIT use svn ?

I hate complex stuff like that...

If you have some explanation, I should be able to take 10 minutes to commit it, but not more... I don't think my company would love to know that they pay for others too much.

If you want I can send you an email otherwise.

If your company doesn't what their developers to learn new things like Git then they are in serious trouble. Git is very similar to svn if you only do basic things with it like push/pull/commit.

Spocke, the reason is more simple...
We paid for a product taht doesn't work very well.
We correct it for our purpose, but they spend lot of time  and money to correct it. I think I worked 10-15 days just to apply plupload to our environment... so it's just expensive to take more time to install new stuff we don't need.

By the way, felixg, my code is online if you want : http://samourais.info/plupload/ just do a diff on it.

With this code, no more absolute position problem.

Sure but still more and more projects are moving over to Git so I strongly recommend reading up on that. If the company you are working on is a development company it would benefit from learning new stuff since everything moves forward. I my self started with CVS then moved over to SVN then now moved over to Git. I would guess that the journey there isn't complete and there is probably some new RCS in the future that we will switch to.